Thursday, March 27, 2008

I want to be a Blooming Tree


I love spring! It is truly my favorite season of the year. I love the tiny little buds that are ready to blossom with all kinds of flowers and fruit. I keep peeking at my lilacs to see when they are going to burst open with that aroma that makes me think of all that is beautiful in the world.

This past week has been one of a lot of circumspection. God has revealed to me through circumstances that I have allowed myself to be a tree rooted in unfertile soil. All of these years I have lived in a very shallow soil of my Christianity. The roots in their attempt to find nourishment went to places of fast growth. Just like everything that grows fast - it dies fast. The blossoms may come out but they will be shriveled and the fruit will be pitted and small. The type of fruit of this type of tree are jealousy, self-centeredness, co-dependency and pride. It is not a very beautiful tree - in fact, it is a tree that is very deceptive. At first blush it looks normal but the closer you get to it the more you see the shallowness and the emptiness of the growth.

So, I prayed. And I asked God to reveal in me what I must change in order to be a blooming tree. Not just any blooming tree but a gorgeous, full and overflowing tree. One that takes His breath away. That is what I want. That is my heart's desire. He has shared with me through His Word that I must find my roots deeply penetrating the soil of His word. I must water the roots with obedience and I must seek the light of His Son. I can not allow my roots to seek fast growth. I must take growth in a steady forward way. I do not need to seek out fertilizer from the world. I must be fertilized only by the Holy Spirit.

And so, I must dig up the old tree. Find all the old roots and dig them up and burn them. And when those little tiny sprouts come back up - I need to deal with them quickly so that do not take root and grow.

I want to be a Blooming Tree and have His life lived deep in me. I want the light of His love to blossom on every branch and the fruit that grows to be that of joy, peace, faith and long suffering. I want most of all that the Blooming Tree would be a tree of love. His love.

1 comment:

Becky said...

This is a beautiful post Carol. It reminds me of one of my favorite trees at the MH. It is enormous and stands right in front of the chapel. (The one with the red door.) It has a sign on it that says, "A tree that looks to God all day and lifts it leafy arms to pray." Its such a great visual.