Friday, November 06, 2009

Walking Away from Regret


Romans 8:1-2 "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death."

For quite sometime now regret has dogged my every step. Everything from eating that one last piece of pie when I knew I didn't need it to reminding myself again and again about the losses sustained in my personal life because of poor choices and outright sinful rebellion. The pile of regret continued to mound up until it took on proportions which blocked my path of growth and joy.

Why is it that we struggle so much with regret when we know that if we have asked God to forgive our sins He is faithful to forgive? Is it because we find it difficult to forgive ourselves and by wallowing in regret it somehow makes us feel better because we punish ourselves? In doing that we are putting our sin, our shame, our disobedience beyond the reach of God's grace. That must wound the heart of our Father.

I have determined that I am through living in regret. I have allowed regret to steal my joy. I realize that the consequences of choices are forever with us. But, God has promised that there is no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus. If I am no longer condemned by the creator of the universe then I have no right to stand in condemnation of myself. The sin is covered. The blood of Jesus Christ covers it all. And to go back and revisit that sin is simply wrong.

And so, the path away from regret is before me. I am wearing shoes that are sturdy. They will see me on this journey and protect me from the onslaught of the evil one as he tempts me to return to regret. These shoes have no tread that leaves a trail back. I cannot go back. I can only move forward. Thankfully, I do not walk alone. The Holy Spirit is there to guide and encourage my walk. Faithful family and friends uphold me in prayer. Regret and its chains no longer bind me. Praise God for the freedom that comes in Christ Jesus!

3 comments:

Stonefox said...

Put like that, it is clear that regret can be a powerful tool of the enemy to keep us floundering. Thanks for sharing your insight, Carol. I am always encouraged by hearing where God is taking you.

Stonefox said...

P.S. This just came to mind too...regret makes us focus on our tendencies to fail, instead of focusing on our ability through Christ to succeed. Maybe we DID mess up yesterday, or a half hour ago (!), but that doesn't mean we have to mess up right NOW.

jean said...

Carol, The beauty is that God sees us through His eyes and His Spirit living in and through us enables me to see you in light of who He has created you to be and His creation is beauty and love. You are beautiful Carol and set free in love.

Friends in the journey,
Jean