Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saying Goodbye to the Past


You know sometimes I hang onto stuff for just way too long. I have things that I got when I was in high school stuffed away in boxes. I have old love letters from boyfriends that no longer even know I am alive. I have cards and pictures and momentos from trips to far off places. And no one looks at them. They just clutter up my life. So why do I hold onto them?

It seems that the past has always had a hold on me. Until recently. Now it seems that I want to purge my life of all the clutter and at the same time say goodbye to some of the memories that have haunted me for way too long.

Having things around that bring back thoughts of long ago days can be good or they can be destructive. It is the destructive memories that I am determined to eliminate. They have been like an anchor around my neck that has kept me mired down in the pit. My house as well as my mind needs to be cleaned out. Swept clean and filled with thoughts of what is good and lovely and positive.

I am committed to placing all of that stuff out of my life. It has cluttered for its last days. The sentiments that were attached to those objects - objects that represented a relationship that was poison to my soul are soon going to be gone. The poision has been replaced with the healing love of my Father. I am searching and finding all that I need in the arms of the One who loves me completely and without any strings.

The past represents what was. Lessons to be learned. Wisdom to be gained. I am grateful that in His mercy God has allowed me to see growth in my spirit. I am looking forward now to what is and what will be rather than reliving the past that brought me such sorrow.

Goodbye.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Carol, you have a beautiful heart and soul that our Father has shaped through all of the experiences that His hand has guided and held tightly as you have journeyed through pain, suffering and loss. He now holds your heart close to His and He is pouring His love in and through you! You are blessed by His Spirit within you.

Love and prayers as you continue the journey.

jean