Sunday, January 18, 2009

Inauguration


The past couple of days I have been thinking a great deal about the inauguration. The hoopla of the press, the expense, the whole thing. It took me back to 8 years ago. It was January 2001 and I was sitting in a small apartment in Connecticut with one of my dearest friends. My world was teetering on the brink of disaster. A new president was being sworn in - and all I could think about at that time was "who cares."

Fast forward eight years. Much of the pending disaster that was on the table in 2001 happened. My world did crash. My family did suffer through tremendous heartache. My life spun out of control. And yet, there was God. He was there, reaching out to me, rescuing me from the sin and shame that I had brought on myself. And a new passion for Him ignited.

We are on the cusp of a new administration. A new personality will now govern our great land. And there is still a very real part of me that says "who cares." It is not that I don't love our country - I do. It is mostly that I realize more and more that I am not really a citizen here. My home is with my Father who saw me through all the pain and heartache of the past decade. All of what happens here is but a moment in time. I desire to focus on the eternal.

Some day there is going to be an inauguration that will make our feeble attempts seem small and insignificant. I thought about the verses in Isaiah 6:1-3
In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

The whole earth will be filled with the glory of the Lord Almighty. Every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the Glory of God the Father. This inauguration will far surpass anything that man has ever seen or contemplated in his heart or mind.

So maybe saying "who cares" about our presidential inauguration is wrong. It probably is. Maybe it is more of a "ho hum". I know that my Father who has created both heaven and earth sees and hears all that is transpiring now. And He has allowed it all. But, there will come a day, and it may be soon when the haughty hearts of man will be humbled and the rightful ruler will be inaugurated. All praise, glory and honor be given unto the Lamb that was slain!

All hail King Jesus!

1 comment:

Rebecca Grace said...

Hey there,
Good thoughts.
Brings back a few memories.
I think Matt is splitting wood next Sat. morning...I'll check for sure and get back to ya.
What about next Sunday night?
B