Friday, February 20, 2009

Stimulus

All of us, if we have been paying any attention at all to the news have heard all kinds of spins on the economic stimulus package. I must admit, I am a bit of a skeptic about where our country is headed with this whole thing but it has given me cause to reflect on just exactly what a stimulus is.

So I went to the handy-dandy website and typed in the word "stimulus". This is the result of my search:
something that incites to action or exertion or quickens action, feeling, thought, etc
We are all looking for something to spur our sluggish economy into action. But what about a spiritual stimulus?

Lately, I have been spending some time in the Old Testament book of Hosea. If you haven't ever read it - take a look at it. Talk about a stimulus.
Hosea 6:1-3 "Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds.
After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence. Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth."


Want to have a new fresh view on your life? Want to get rid of that sluggish spiritual economy? Then return to the Lord. Look at the steps that Hosea gives in these verses. First of all, acknowledge the Lord. What does that mean to you? I am getting a whole different view of that. If I believe that Jesus is Lord, then every word of every command must be obeyed. No question. Is that even possible? I believe that it is. If not, then why would God have said in His word -
1 Peter 1:16
for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."


Next it says to press on to acknowledge Him. Don't quit. Don't give up. I bet that if we would be diligent in acknowledging His Lordship and following His commands and being obedient to what His Word says - we would see a spiritual stimulus that could turn the world upside down.

Ready to give it a try?

No comments: