Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Do What I Can Today

It has really been a hard couple of months for me. I have been really overwhelmed with the busyness of work and some really difficult family situations. Some times in the night I would lay there and just wonder if God really was there and if He really was in control.

What I am finding though is that I have had such a preoccupation with the future. What would happen to my kids, what would happen to my job, what about the economy, on and on it goes. And I am finding that no matter how much I worry about all of this - I cannot make one bit of difference in the future. I can only do what I can do today.

My mom used to quote that verse of scripture that says "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Of course, that always makes me chuckle because my mom is the queen of worry. I learned from the master. I realize that God intends me to live in the here and now. Do the best that I can do today to affect change in the lives of those that I have influence on. Work on the project that is at hand and do all that I can to give 100% of my best effort to see that the work TODAY is done well. All of these things are what I truly can do to impact what I say that I am so concerned about.

I need to lay down the thought that I can control anything. God is in control. I am not. No matter what - He has a plan and a purpose for everything. Even the tough things that I would rather not think about or have to deal with. All of it is meant to mold and shape me into the woman of God that He has so longed for me to become. I long to be the faithful servant that He created me to be.

I have limited capacity. The capacity that I have needs to be funneled into the work, the relationships, the joy of today. And maybe - just maybe the future will take care of itself.

1 comment:

Stonefox said...

Carol, I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling like this. I know what you mean about worry, it is something that I have had to fight at different seasons too. One thing that helps me is listening to songs that specifically talk about trust and God's sovereignty. (Don't know if that would help or not, but it's an idea.)