Friday, March 06, 2009

Various Trials

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,


Sometimes I think that we read these verses and think "yes, that is exactly what I believe" only to find that when the trials of many kinds come we aren't considering it pure joy. At least that is what I have been experiencing of late. I believe that God expects us to take Him at His word. And if we want to grow - there have to be trials. Oh how I wish though that there were an easier way.....

I have been thinking a lot about the past 10 years of my life. In fact, I recently was reflecting on the fact that I was in Israel exactly 10 years ago. Oh how much has changed since then. Some of that change is the natural progression that comes from growing older. My kids have grown to adulthood and for the most part are out on their own. I have a few more gray hairs (although the color from the bottle hides them) and the midlife facts of gravity are having their affect. But, some of the change that I am dealing with are the direct results of sinful choices that I made during this past decade of life.

A season of running and hiding from the God I love resulted in destruction that took a wide swath through my family. Refusal to turn from sin brought about a lot of the pain that we are all still experiencing to this day. And yet in all of it - GOD was still there. He never left me and He never gave up on me.

His grace - His marvelous grace brought about restoration that comes from heartfelt repentance. The pain that sin produces still impacts me because that is the consequence of my choice but I can rejoice in the grace that brought me back to His side. I can rejoice in the fact that the trials that come my way can bring joy because they put me right down on my knees. They bring me to the place where I get "out of myself" and into God. This is the place that I need to stay. I pray that the days to come will bring joy to the lives of those who I love. I pray that the days to come will find my children walking in the truth. I pray that the days to come will find me more like the Savior.

Yes, I will choose this day to count it all joy. I will choose this day to put the past where it belongs - in the past - and walk in newness of life. Praise God for His saving, redeeming grace.

No comments: