Monday, November 11, 2019

A Day to Remember

Today we pause to give thanks for the men and women who have served our country in the military.  For several hundred years there have been individuals who put themselves in harms way so that we could enjoy the freedom that we have.  Many paid the ultimate price and laid down their lives for ours.  How can you ever really say thank you enough?

So often I have thought about the lack of creature comforts that our soldiers have experienced.  Or the separation from their loved ones.  Or the fear of death or injury.  Some of them enlisted to do this job, some were drafted.  Some made the military a career while others mustered out as soon as they could.  Each and every one took an oath when they joined up.  They stood and recited the following: "I, (Name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of  the United States and the orders of the officers appointed."

Some of these young men and women were just kids when they joined up.  They often were caught up in the excitement and romance of war.  And then reality hit.  Thousands of miles from home caught up in a conflict that they did not even understand they bravely obeyed those orders.  Many returned home with lifetime injuries that were physical, emotional or mental. Each one chose to lay down their life for their friend. You and me.

As I think of our Veterans I think about Jesus. I think of how He left the glory of heaven to come to this troubled earth.  He often lacked creature comforts.  He left His family home to wander the Galilean countryside.  He faced injury and death. And He willingly obeyed the will of His Father and laid down His life for His friends.  You and me.  How great a salvation!  How great a Savior!

So today, I thank our Veterans.  I thank the many who sacrificed so much that I might be able to write this blog entry without fear of being imprisoned.  I can speak freely of my faith and I can appreciate the freedom of choice that we all have.  We are indeed a country blessed by the lives of these faithful individuals.  May God richly bless the current military forces and also those who have served in the past.  And may God give comfort to the loved ones who have lost their precious sons or daughters in the pursuit of this freedom.

No comments: