Monday, November 25, 2019

Thankful for Little People

How can it be possible that in just a little over a month this little guy will turn 6?  And how is it possible that within a few weeks he and his parents will be homeowners just 20 miles away from me?  How is it possible?  God's grace!

Over the time since Oliver has been around, I have had a certain sadness that would come over me when I thought of how much I had missed.  He was so far away and I got to see him at best twice a year.  I missed first steps, first birthday, first Christmas, first words, so many firsts. And to be truthful, I felt a pang of jealousy when I would see my friends who lived near their grand kids be able to spend so much time with them.

And then the news came that my daughter, son-in-law and Oliver would be moving to south central PA!  For the last 10 months I have enjoyed being able to see them and to experience some new firsts.  First Easter, first Halloween, first fireman's carnival, first overnight with gramma, and soon our first Thanksgiving!  And to top that off, if all goes well I will be able to help them move into their first home in early 2020!  How is it possible?  God's grace!

God's grace has seen me though so much.  He continues to see me through the wearisome times of life.  Times like when you have those aches and pains that weren't there just 5 years ago, or when you have relational conflicts that were not of your making, or when you lose someone who was so very precious to your heart.  And He has seen me though the joyful times of life as well.  Times like the marriage of my son and my daughter-in-law, the marriage of my daughter and my son-in-law and the birth of my wonderful grandson, Oliver.  He truly is the crown of the "aged".  (BTW I kind of wish it said later middle-aged....)

So this Thanksgiving, like many before, grace is what I am thankful for.  I do not deserve it.  I could never purchase it.  I can only grasp a hold of it and cherish it.  I can only pause throughout my days and say "thank you, Father" for all of the blessings, love and grace you shower me with.  May my heart continue to look into the future with a thankful heart knowing how great Your faithfulness has been in the past. 

No comments: