Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Who is Keeping My Mind?

Every morning when I wake up I think about what is on my to do list or what appointments I have on my calendar.  And every night when I lay my head down I review how I did.  Some days I have a feeling of satisfaction and some days I feel let down. 

Throughout the day my mind can wander into places that either inspire me or defeat me.  It is all a matter of choice.  What I fill my mind with, the news I listen to, the books I read, the TV I watch - all of it plays into the way I go through my day.  I am finding, especially right now, that the consumption of news can make me anxious and can make me feel almost imprisoned.  So I am choosing to limit that to a few key interviews each day and then let the sound bites go. None of it helps me or motivates me to be the best I can be.  It does not help me with what is on my to do list nor does it help me to be an encouragement to those that I have appointments with.

The prophet Isaiah many, many years ago had the right idea.  These encouraging words are what I need to fix my mind on. God will keep me in perfect peace if I keep my mind fixed on trusting Him. I really just noted the word "perfect".  Not just peace, but perfect peace.  But, there is an action that is required on my part.  My part is to be steadfast in fixing my mind on the faithfulness of God and to trust that He has all of this in hand.

It is hard.  It is something that I must exercise.  It will not just happen.  So, I am going to really work at this.  I am going to make an effort beginning now to look up to the One Who truly can give me peace and not look to men who cannot.  I am going to faithfully pray for our leaders but I am not going to have expectations of them that are beyond their power to fulfill.  I am going to practice smiling again and counting my blessings instead of focusing on the things that I cannot change.  I am going to be kinder, gentler and more merciful to those who I disagree with.  And I am going to allow God to keep my mind fixed on Him as I live out these days of uncertainty. 

And maybe in the process - I will go to bed with more feelings of satisfaction than let down!

No comments: