Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Running the Gun Lap

 


This past week I heard an interview by author Robert Wolgemuth about his latest book entitled “Gun Lap.”  Having never been a runner I really did not understand the significance of this term until I looked it up.  When I looked it up in the dictionary this is what I learned:  “the final lap of a race in track signaled by the firing of a gun as the leader begins the lap. 

Life is a race and none of us know what lap of the race we are on.  But the apostle Paul in II Timothy 4:7-8 said these very familiar words:  “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

So I found myself wondering – have I been fighting the good fight?  Have I kept the faith, even when things did not turn out the way that I wanted?  Am I going to finish the race with integrity and honor my Father with the days I have?  Psalm 90: 12 says “Teach us to number our days aright, so that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Am I gaining a heart of wisdom?  Am I counting each day as the precious gift that it is?

For the past 6 weeks I have led a ladies Bible study at my church.  The topic was "Trustworthy - Overcoming our Greatest Struggles to Trust God." We have been following the lives of several of the kings from the OT.  And one stark truth came out in nearly all of them.  They started out strong but they did not finish strong.  What happened?  In most cases they took their eyes off of God and put their eyes on people, possessions and positions.  It was very sad to read this and also quite convicting.

I looked at each of these areas in my own life.  Each of us have opportunities to influence one another to love and good works in the days ahead.  I want to find ways to be an encouragement to others and to share the faithfulness of God to those who are struggling.  But I do not want to run my gun lap comparing where I am with others who are also in the race. 

Possessions have never really been a thing for me.  I grew up in fairly humble means and feel that I have been greatly blessed with what I have. I do not take lightly though that everything that I have - from my home to my means of earning a living are a gift from God. Any of it could be taken from me in a heartbeat. And then where is my confidence?  Am I running a gun lap to keep up with my neighbors or am I willing to share all that I have with those who are in need? 

And lastly position.  Do I take unmerited pride in the things that I have accomplished?  Or do I look at it truly as another way that my trustworthy God has blessed me?  I recently read where in 100 years few, if any will remember your name.  We are all replaceable. So while working hard and giving my best to those endeavors I am a part of is important - in my gun lap it is not the most important thing.

I pray each morning when I wake up I will see the day for exactly what it is – an opportunity!  What I do with that opportunity is pretty much up to me.  I can choose to make it a day that is all about God or I can make it a day that is all about me.  If my objective is to truly do what Jesus said in Matthew 22:37-38  “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” then the answer is clear. My gun lap needs to be focused on faithful love and obedience to God and truly loving my neighbor as myself. 

Time is the one commodity that cannot be replenished. Now is the time to run a strong gun lap!

No comments: