Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Stay on the Path

Proverbs 4:26-27 "Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established. Do not turn to the right or to the left; turn your foot from evil."

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the course my life has taken.  I guess it is that time of year again when I start reflecting on where I have been, where I am and where I hope to be.  And so when I was reading Proverbs the other day these verses really hit home. 

As I thought about my life I realized just how often I took my eyes off the path.  I looked and some times meandered to the right or to the left. Each and every time that wandering took me off the path that God had set before me.  There were dangers confronted, evils encountered, sadness generated - all because I took my eye off the path.  

It's interesting how the things off to the side of the path look so enticing when you are still on the path.  The hidden secrets only manifest themselves when you take that first step off the intended way.  Often times it became a long process to find my way back to the path once again. 

At times the path has seemed monotonous - just putting one foot in front of the other day in and day out. The end of the path is never in sight and so I have no idea how long it is or whether or not I will encounter a lot of hills or unexpected construction.  That has made me at times also look for shortcuts or an easier path to walk on. Yet again when I chose to do this I found myself missing out on the best path - the one intended for me.

Proverbs talks so much about wisdom.  And as I think about these verses I pray that I will be better in the days ahead to stay on the path, putting aside any temptation to veer off its course.  This is the way of safety, this is the way of joy, this is the way of walking in step with my Savior.  He is there in each step. He is there to guide me if only I ask and if only I obey. 

No comments: