Monday, January 28, 2008

Soul Hunger

Tonight as I typically do on Monday, I spent time with my counselor, Michael. It was good. Painful, but good. Interestingly enough about midway through the conversation he said, "Carol, you seem happy tonight." But by the end of the session I was in tears. Oh what trails we go down in our discussions.

Have you ever thought about what it means to hunger and thirst after righteousness? What is it that makes our soul hunger for the Lord? Why do we try and fill this emptiness with things that are temporal and fleeting? Do we not see that the temporary fixes of this world only lead us to more hunger and a greater thirst? And do we not see that this ravenous hunger is never fully quenched?

How is it that we can fool ourselves into believing that man's affection or admiration can fill what only God can fill? How can we think that food or drink, or the drug of choice can dull the pain of this empty void that only God can fill?

Jesus said that He is the bread of life. He told the woman at the well that He is the living water. That any who drink of Him would never thirst again. So why do we continue to seek out that which He supplies?

There is no greater longing that I have than to be loved unconditionally. I have sought this out in any manner of ways. Most have led to destruction and pain. Some have brought a temporary, earthly love, like that of a child for his mother. But, rather than allow myself to be fully loved by the Father and to be have my soul hunger fed, I have stumbled about in this world looking for what only He can supply.

How I long to seek Him passionately and to know the power of His love in my life. May I find my soul hunger fed by the one Who does love me for who I am in Him. I pray that I would stop seeking out what can only be found in the Truth. The Vine. The Bread of Life. May I continue to see Him clearly and to be drawn to His likeness as I seek Him.

1 comment:

Becky said...

This is great stuff Carol. I was reading it and thinking Amen, amen, amen.
I have a chapel in my house again. It got taken over for a while because of company but this week I took it back. There's very little in this room. There's an altar with a cross, candles, a cup for communion, a bowl and a pitcher, and to the other side a prayer board. I have a sheepskin rug on the floor in front of it. Its where I learn to let Jesus love me. Sometimes I read, write, or pray. But my favorite thing to do is just lay there in the presence of God. It is a sacred place. When Samuel was a child, he slept near the ark of the Lord (I Sam.3). That's pretty unusual if you think about it, because if you touched it you would die. But I think I understand what He was doing. There's nothing like lying with God until all else fades away, and we come to a place of inner peace and rest, and there's nothing like falling to sleep with God. He speaks His presence to our spirits.
Let your pain lead you to your core, and lay your deepest parts before Him and let Him love you.
I wrote a blog a long time ago, its no longer on my site, but I think I'll dig it up and repost it again. I need it too.
Blessings,
Becky
P.S. What's Friday like?