Monday, September 16, 2019

Metamorphosis

Over the past three weeks we have had the amazing privilege to watch a Monarch go from the caterpillar (larvae) through the chrysalis (pupa) stage to the emergent beautiful adult butterfly. Having this experience has brought so much to my mind of our lives here on earth - mine in particular.

This Monarch waited quite a long time to emerge out of the chrysalis, so long in fact that we began to wonder if the insect had died. Each day I would look at that beautiful emerald green chrysalis to see if there were any signs of change.  But day after day nothing - until this past Saturday. I looked through what now had become a translucent shell at the outline of what were the beautiful black and orange wings. Unfortunately, I had to leave for several hours and during that time this beautiful gem entered his habitat.  I watched him dry his wings patiently and after several hours - off he flew!  On to new adventures and the cycle of life.

I feel like I have been in a chrysalis for many years. Waiting to put off the old self, that selfish, proud and ofttimes unkind person who has spent way too many years looking for what brought me happiness and satisfaction. Maybe there have been family and friends who looked at me while I was in that chrysalis and wondered if I were dead inside.  Would I ever emerge from being a partner of all that was evil?

But God in His mercy has been prompting my heart to put off those rotten ways and have new attitudes, new thoughts. Thoughts of what is good, what is beautiful, what is true and right. My wings are still drying. I need to keep exercising them before I can fly on my own but I know that He is there to bring just the right breeze my way in the form of loving family and friends, words from the Scriptures that prompt me to right living and the gentle Spirit who continues to breathe life into this frail human.

And so I - like my beautiful butterfly am on to new adventures!

No comments: