Monday, September 30, 2019

Feeling Buffeted?

Yesterday as my husband and I sat looking out at the Atlantic Ocean the sea grass in front of us caught my eye. The wind was whipping it around yet it tenaciously held to the ground in which it was planted. The thought came to me of the word "buffet."

The sea grass is planted in an attempt to hold back the erosion of the beaches through the storms that come. It looks so very frail yet it seems to be capable of doing the task it was made for.

As I pondered this I thought about this verse from I Peter. In the King James Version the word "buffet" is used in place of "beaten" in the Living Bible, but the meaning is the same. Peter talks about how there is no credit for being patient when suffering comes for those things we have done in the flesh that bring us harm but when we do right and suffer for it and are patient - then God is pleased. It is hard for us at times to understand why this would be true.

In recent days several dear friends have been presented with some "storms" in their lives. Some of the winds that blew were illness and some were relational. I have witnessed the deep roots of their faith in God as they are buffeted about. Will they hold on with patience? Would I if given the same circumstances? It is only as we put our roots deeply into the faithfulness of our God can we hold on when we are beaten about by life's circumstances.

In my life there have been times when I have been buffeted about because of choices I made which were not pleasing to God. Yet, even in this I have seen the roots of my faith grow because God has shown such great grace and forgiveness toward me. He has given me much to be thankful for and has shown over and over again how wide and deep is His great love for me. It is in the recognition that He is faithful despite my unfaithfulness that growth occurred.  This growth, I trust will see me through the storms that will come in the days ahead.

We are not promised a life without storms. What we are promised is a loving Father who sees us through each storm when we allow our roots to grow deep in His love and to trust Him to see us though.  His grace is enough. Let us hold on with patience!

No comments: