Monday, September 23, 2019

The Heavens Declare

Last week my husband and I had the privilege of camping up in one of the more rural counties north of where we live. To say I was in my element is an understatement. I am truly a country girl at heart. I love the sounds of crickets chirping, birds singing, little traffic and few people. Some might even find me to be a bit reclusive.

I gazed up at the sky so many times during that week. I saw bright sunshine with billowy clouds, I saw the deep, dark sky filled with twinkling stars overhead and the most majestic sunsets each night. All of these reminded me of the glory of God.

In Romans 1:20 it speaks of how from the earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and knew instinctively that God had made it all. We are without excuse when we look at all the grandeur of His creation. The birds sing His praise, the very rocks some day will shout out to His glory. How then can I not sing praise to Him when I gaze upon all the wonder of creation?

At times I can become quite melancholy, a season that I find myself in right now. I do not enjoy the thought of the coming of winter. Fall, while beautiful in its beginning is drab and lonely at its end. But, then I stop and look up! I look up into the beautiful sky and I see the promise of His coming. I see the glory of God shining through the sun, the moon and the stars! I hear His whisper in the breeze that causes the leaves to gently fall to the ground. And in all of this I can give praise. And perhaps, just perhaps a bit of the melancholy will be wiped away.

No comments: