Monday, October 07, 2019

Bent but not Broken

On my walks last week in Ocean City, NJ I passed this lovely tree on the grounds of the Ocean City Tabernacle.  At first I did not pay much attention to it but over the course of time it made me think about life when I saw it.

This tree represents a lot about my life. Look at how it started. Strong roots that went deep into the soil. Over the course of time those roots pushed up through the soil in search of the sunshine that is so prevalent at the shore. But then something happened. Something forced that limb to jut out to the right. Was it a storm or a series of storms? Was there a change in circumstances that forced the tree limb to go off to the side rather than to continue to grow straight and tall?  And then all of a sudden it seems that it adjusted itself and once again began to grow straight and true.

I thought about how this looks so much like my life.  I too had strong roots that went deep into the soil. Roots of a loving family that taught me so much about God and my need of a Savior. Roots that despite adversity brought nourishment that enriched me so that I could grow straight and tall, seeking the sonshine!

But then things happened.  Choices were made, compromises were made, complications set in. And all of a sudden life started to go sideways. And for many years that seemed to be the way that it was going to continue. I became very bent. Aimlessly growing; but, not growing in the right direction.

Yet through it all I never completely lost my faith. I continued to pray for the strength that I needed to make the adjustments necessary to grow in the right direction again. I just love this verse from Psalm 116 where it says that God bends down to listen! What a picture! He listened when I cried out in shame and desperation.  He listened when I railed at Him for not easily fixing my situation.  He listened when I softly cried out "I am done, please take control!" How blessed I am that He bent down and heard me. And for as long as I have breathe I will pray. He tenderly has gotten the "limb" aright and I am once again seeking the sonshine! Certainly, I am bent but I am not broken!

No comments: