Monday, October 21, 2019

For what do I thirst?

Walking along the Allegheny River behind St. Bonaventure University on Friday night, my sister and I came up on three beautiful doe grazing in the golden high grass.  Their ears perked up when we came along but they were not afraid of us.  I guess seeing all the runners, walkers and bicyclists on the path each day makes them brave.

As I looked at them and then reflected on this picture that I took I was reminded of the beautiful verse in Psalm 42 where David compares his thirst for God to that of the deer that pants for water. David, just like the deer was intent on finding what would quench his thirst.  He continued to search no matter what the obstacle and no matter what deterrents others may have put in his way.  Just as the deer.  The deer feeds where the grasses are high and plentiful but never too far from the source of water that sustains their life.

Thinking about this I wondered what am I truly thirsty for?  What do I pursue to fulfill the longing in my heart?  What is it that actually satisfies my soul?  When I think of earthly pleasures I realize just how fleeting they are.  I can enjoy the company of my family, I can enjoy a lovely meal, I can drink a glass of refreshing water, I can view a magnificent sunset but within moments the pleasure is gone and I find myself searching again.

God's Word teaches that we can only find our satisfaction in Him alone.  He is to be the one we long for.  He is the only one that can meet our needs with finality.  He is the one that loves us unconditionally.  It is only as I thirst for Him and seek Him out that I can find the peace that has alluded me over the years.  Spending time reading His Word and getting spiritual nourishment from it, actually praying continually throughout the day to strengthen my relationship with Him and sharing with others who love Him are the waters that quench my thirst.  Each day is an opportunity to seek out this life-giving water.  May I be more and more like the deer that pants after the water, never satisfied with complacency. 

No comments: