Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Seasons

There is likely no better season to reflect about change than fall.  During these three short months trees can go from glorious green, to the vibrant colors of yellow, orange or red, to barren.  In three short months.....

How like life. I have been reminded again this week of the seasons that we go through in our short span of time here on this earth.  We go through the exciting times of childhood, to the petulant times of teenagers, to the busyness of adulthood, to the quieter more reflective time of being an older adult.

I was recently listening to a sermon about the life of Paul when he was in prison.  In 2 Timothy he asked for his coat and his parchments.  I had read those verses over the years and never really thought much about it.  He was all alone in a cold, damp prison cell and what he asked for was a coat to warm him and his parchments to keep him busy.  Paul was likely very lonely because he was definitely a people-person. But, rather than wallowing in his season of loneliness he found two things that would help him manage.  He wanted to be warm and he wanted to be busy.

Loneliness is a season that hits all of us.  And it does not mean that we are not surrounded by people. Sometimes we can be the loneliest when we are right in the middle of all the hubbub of family life, work life and recreational life. We get this yearning in our heart to be understood for where we are in our lives and sometimes there is just no one who can fit that bill. Try as they might our loved ones cannot always help us overcome this season. So like Paul we need to find what will make us comfortable and what will keep us active and busy.

I find myself in this season right now. But, I am also thankful for it.  During this time I am finding that I am dwelling more and more on what is really important in life and worrying less and less about the things that are so fleeting and ultimately irrelevant. I am looking for ways to be busy with productive things that will help me to stay focused and also to be vigilant to try and help others who may be struggling with loneliness to feel cared for.  And I also look forward to a time when this season has passed.  I know that God never leaves me or forsakes me and that these times of loneliness are often meant to draw me closer to Him. How blessed I am that even in the loneliest of times I am never truly alone.

No comments: