Monday, October 14, 2019

Some Trust In.....

Of late I have been thinking a lot about what I put my trust in.  Looking at this picture I see two items that over the years I have put a lot of trust in.  One is in the flag, which represents the country that I love and one is this red jeep, affectionately called "Little Red." Every time we go out for a ride in Little Red we expect her to fire right up, take us over rocky roads and bring us safely home.  I also have put my trust in the money that sits in the bank.  I believe or trust that the government will stand behind that money and that it will be worth something when I next go to pay a bill or purchase an item.

Then I think about the people that I have put my trust in. There have been parents, siblings, spouses, children, friends, teachers, pastors, co-workers that I have trusted over the years.  Some people have been trustworthy - others not so much. 

God's Word specifically says that putting our complete trust in anything other than Him is a very dangerous proposition.  I recently had a conversation with my husband about a couple of instances where I had trusted in friendship only to be burned by it.  He pointed out to me that my expectations of what makes a trusting relationship is not always the same expectation that the other individual had.  And because of that I have been hurt.  And I have also caused hurt.

There is only one relationship that is completely trustworthy.  That is the relationship that I have with my Father.  He knows and loves me with complete abandonment! In His grace I have assurance that no matter what He will be there to take care of my needs and to direct my steps. Even when I fail Him - He is still there.  He has never left my side or walked away in disgust, unfriended me on Facebook or refused to respond to correspondence.  No matter what!

The country I love could fail me, Little Red could break down on the highway and leave me abandoned, my money could all evaporate with the volatility of the markets. People can and have left me, either by choice or by death.  But, my God is there.  He will never leave me or forsake me.  In Him will I put my trust.  There is definite safety there!

No comments: